Lewisham Council writes:
The new flagship leisure centre being built in Lewisham town centre is to be called the Glass Mill.
The name was chosen following the submission of ideas from Lewisham residents and because it reflects part of Lewisham’s history while referring to the striking glass façade that will front the new building.
The new leisure centre is being built near the site of the old Lewisham Bridge Mill – one of many mills that used to exist in Lewisham powered by the Ravensbourne when it was a much larger stream than today. Although during its lifetime, Lewisham Bridge Mill was used mostly for grinding corn, in the middle on the 18th century it was used by the famous glass cutter Thomas Betts for the manufacture of chandeliers and decanters.
Betts was one of the first, if not the first person in England, to use water power for glass cutting. The mill was demolished in 1935.
The centre will include a competition pool (eight lanes, 17 x 25 metres, moveable floor at the deep end to allow additional water area for teaching), a teaching pool (20 x 8 metres with moveable floor), two dance/exercise/aerobics studios, a fitness suite with 100 stations, a health spa, a climbing wall, a crèche and a café.